Drosera Aliciae (Alice Sundew)
POT MEASUREMENTS: Approx. 8cm(Ø) x 7cm(H)
Pot color and size may vary and change subject to availability
Out of stock
Drosera Aliciae, the Alice sundew, is a carnivorous plant in the family Droseraceae.
- It is native to the Cape Provinces of South Africa, like Drosera Capensis, the Cape Sundew, and is one of the most common sundews in cultivation.
- The plant forms small, tight rosettes of wedge-shaped leaves, up to 5 cm in diameter.
- Under conditions of good lighting, the insect-snagging tentacles will become deeply colored with anthocyanin pigments, which probably aid in its attraction of insect prey.
- The plant is relatively easy to grow and produces attractive scapes of pink flowers, which are held about 30 cm away from the carnivorous leaves, so as to prevent pollinators from becoming ensnared.
- It is very similar in form to a number of other closely related species such as D. slackii, and D. dielsiana: the former is rather larger (8 cm diameter); the latter rather smaller (3 cm diameter).
- Provide partial sunlight (several hours of direct sunlight with bright filtered light during the day).
- Avoid the full shade.
- Direct sun can burn them, though, with determination, the tougher species such as Drosera capensis can be acclimated to more extreme heat and direct sun over the length of a few seasons.
- Other species, including Drosera spiralis and D. graomogolensis, should be kept inside to protect them from harsh weather.
- All sundews require mineral-free water.
- If your tap water is relatively pure (less than 50 parts per million in dissolved minerals), then you can safely water your sundews with it.
- Otherwise, you can use distilled bottled water. Keep the soil wet at all times. You can do this by setting the plant in small amounts of standing water, up to halfway up the pot.
- Use a soil mixture of 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite.
- Never use potting soil, compost or fertilizer; they will kill your plant.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.