POT MEASUREMENTS: Approx. 16cm(Ø) x 20cm(H)
TREE HEIGHT: Approx. 110cm(H)
Pot color, size, and Tree Height may vary and change subject to availability
A popular fruit bearer in its native Brazil, Jaboticaba’s name is derived from the Tupi term “jabotim,” which means “like turtle fat” in reference to its fruit pulp.
- In Brazil, the tree thrives from sea level to about 3,000 feet in altitude.
- They are members of the myrtle family, Myrtaceae.
- It is a slow-growing tree or shrub that reaches heights of between 10 and 45 feet.
- They are frost intolerant and sensitive to salinity. Jaboticaba fruit trees are related to the Surinam Cherry, Java Plum, and Guava.
- Like the guava, the thin outer bark of the tree flakes off, leaving lighter colored patches.
- They are very interesting trees in that they bear fruit on old-growth trunks and branches, making the tree look much like it’s covered with purple cysts.
- Jaboticaba trees are will take full sun or some shade and are small enough fit into many parts of the garden landscape.
- Water should be supplied as needed to maintain good soil moisture and prevent wilting, but constant flooding is undesirable.
- As the root system is somewhat shallow, irrigation is usually required when the upper inch or two of soil become dry.
- It is best in rich deep soil with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5.
- Although it is not well adapted to alkaline soils, it may be grown successfully by mulching and applying necessary nutrient sprays containing iron.
- The tree is not tolerant of salty or poorly drained soil.
- For young plants, half ratio fertilizer at monthly intervals will speed the plant’s very slow growth rate.
- Any well-balanced fertilizer applied three times per year will keep the plant healthy.
- Because of its shallow root system, it is suggested that a series of small holes be dug and filled with organic material around the plant’s base.
- The organic material can contain a balanced fertilizer which will be released during irrigation.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.