Pot Measurements: Approx. 12cm(Ø) x 9cm(H)
The name Maiden Hair fern actually refers to the Adiantum genus of about 200 different species that grow around the world, everywhere from New Zealand to the Andes.
- Many varieties are especially suited to growing on rock walls around waterfalls, where the water seepage and moisture in the air keeps them from drying out.
- From temperature, to water, to sunlight, maidenhair ferns are divas in every way.
- Direct sun will lead to scorching, but too little light will cause poor growth and yellowing fronds.
- If possible, place in a location that gets indirect morning or afternoon sun, such as a northern window, with no drafts.
- Due to the importance of moisture for this plant, it’s best to plant it in a plastic pot with drainage holes.
- Alternatively keep it in the plastic pot that it came in, and place this in a more attractive outer cachepot.
- Clay pots alone aren’t recommended because they allow the soil to dry out too quickly.
- And when the soil dries out, the fronds shrivel up and die immediately.
- This is not a plant you can be lackadaisical about watering, because you also cannot let the roots sit in puddled water.
- The soil needs to be kept constantly moist, but not soggy.
- If your maidenhair fern dries out and its fronds turn brown and die, there may still be hope.
- Cut the fronds off at soil level, and keep the soil moist. The plant may re-grow after a few months.
- Regularly trim these away at soil level.
- Maidenhair ferns can’t tolerate dry air, so if your home is dry, you’ll need to figure out how to provide your plant the humidity it needs.
- You can also increase the humidity near your plant by standing it on a water-filled pebble tray, or it may do well in a closed terrarium environment or under a glass cloche (but be extra careful to avoid direct sunlight in these situations.)
- A temperature of about 21°C (70°F) is ideal, but temperatures below 16°C (60°F) should be avoided.
- Fertilize monthly year-round with a half-strength liquid fertilizer.
- $148.00 inc. GST
Chinese New Year, Festive, Plants, Flowering Plants, Orchids, Potted Plant$98.00 inc. GST
- $88.00 inc. GST
- $8.00 inc. GST